The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has extended its original competitive bidding timetable for the Workers’ Compensation Review Contractor (WCRC) contract by a few months. This is a very important contract because the WCRC is the contractor responsible for reviewing all of Workers’ Compensation Medicare Set-Asides (WCMSAs).
The new WCRC contract bid dates are now extended, as follows:
- Release of the bid solicitation – formerly 3.8.16, extended to 6.27.16
- Proposal due date – formerly 4.8.16, extended to 7.27.16
- Contract award date – formerly 6.20.16, extended to 11.7.16
Curiously, CMS stated that the reason for the extension is “due to updates that are currently being made to the Statement of Work (SOW) to include the processing of other Non-Group Health Plan (NGHP) Medicare Set-aside Arrangements”. Does this mean that CMS is changing the WCMSA review thresholds, as we have heard? Or could it mean that CMS is formalizing the review of Liability Medicare Set-Asides (LMSAs), as they started to do in July 2012? We don’t know, but we will soon find out.
The other, non-timetable oriented, provisions of the WCRC contract solicitation remain unchanged, such as it being:
- A Firm Fixed Price contract
- For a twelve month base period with four, one-year renewal options
- Set aside for a Section 8(A) minority-owned small business.
We will watch this issue closely and let you know as soon as something develops.
To view our previous blog about the original pre-solicitation notice, click here.
To review the original and the updated WCRC contract pre-solicitation notices, click here.